1. What is the importance of allowing Kurdish to be taught in schools in Turkey? How significant is it?
2. What are the different minority groups in your country?
3. Is your country fair in giving rights to citizens belonging to minority groups?
Disability can be devastating to one’s physical and emotional health. Disabled people find it difficult to do even the simplest task. It can also affect the family.
Watch the video below then express your thoughts about the topic.
1. What problems do people with disabilities face in your country?
2. What do you think of the Paralympic Games?
3. What kinds of discrimination do people with disabilities face?
4. What message do you think disabled people would like to tell those without a disability?
Jainism is an ancient religion which still exists and practised by a large number of people in India. Jains have a controversial practice in which they stop eating and drinking with the intention of preparing for death.
Read the article below to see how the government of India is responding to Jainism’s method of moving on to the after life.
1. What is your own perspective about this controversy?
2. When do you think it’s right for the state (government) to intervene against any religious practice?
3. In your country, what are the different religions or faiths that are practiced?
1. What can you say about Jonathan Powley’s idea for budget travelling? Would you try it?
2. What are some of the best accommodations you’ve experienced during your past travels? What about not-so-good experiences?
3. How would you travel if you were on a budget?
1. Describe the diversity of the city or town you live in.
2. If I were to visit your country or your city, where would you bring me? (Also talk about places that aren’t touristy.)
3. Describe some of the places that you have visited that are very rich in history and diversity.
In this life, success and failure are normal. How we view them is another matter.
Let us watch an inspirational video about a young man and how he dealt with his failure.
1. In your own words, re-tell the story of the man featured in the video.
2. Have there been any failures that made your life better?
3. Is there a right time to give up and stop trying? Or should you never give up?
4. Talk about a time you failed at something you tried.
1. What was your reaction after reading the text and watching the videos?
2. What were the challenges and how did the women in the story overcome them?
3. Would you marry someone who is considered an enemy by many?
4. What do you know about WWII and what damage did it bring to your country?
This video is meant to practice your listening skills. Watch carefully and be ready to answer the comprehension questions afterwards.
1. Describe the process of how the shellfish were cooked.
2. Why did she put the clams first in the fire and the mussels later on?
3. According to Melissa, how do you clean clams?
4. How do you know if the shellfish are cooked?
5. Describe the toppings she placed on the shellfish once they were cooked.