There is a growing curiosity and intrigue about how life goes on in North Korea. A handful of reporters and journalists have attempted to record and document the existence of settlers from the other side of the border.
Watch the video below then be ready for a discussion.
1. After watching the video, how would you describe living conditions in North Korea? Why do you think it is called the Hermit Kingdom?
2. Describe education of children in North Korea.
3. What punishment does a North Korean citizen get if he or she talks against the government?
4. How did you react after watching the video?
5. Why do you think some citizens still choose to stay in North Korea despite the harsh living conditions?
It’s interesting how we can have one language and have more than one way of pronouncing the same words. Whether you’re American, British, Irish or Chinese, the way we speak English will have differences.
Watch the video below to learn how American accent and British accent came to be.
1. According to the video, how did the american accent become different from the British accent?
2. What are the differences between the American accent and the British accent?
3. Which accent do you find easier to understand?
4. What other accents do you know of?
5. Does your country also have different accents depending on the region?
Plastic is considered one of the greatest material produced that has helped companies and individuals alike. But how has plastic played a role in harming our environment? Watch the video below to find out more about the journey of a plastic bottle.
1. Explain where plastic bottles end up once we throw them away. What is leachate?
2. What is the Great Pacific garbage Patch? What danger does this pose?
3. Are you aware of where your garbage goes when you dispose of them?
4. Does your city have good programs related to recycling and disposing of trash properly?
Water is an essential part of life. Whether for our own consumption or for the environment. As with any substance, there is a danger of having too much and too little. Watch the video below and be ready to practice your listening comprehension.
1. Discuss the facts about water presented in the video. How important is it to our bodies?
2. What are the dangers of dehydration? How about over-hydration?
3. Who are usually the victims of over-hydration? Why are they prone to over-hydration?
4. Do you think you’re getting enough water on a daily basis?
5. What are the other kinds beverages you enjoy drinking? What are some fruits and vegetables that you like?
1. According to the article, what are the benefits of having meetings early in the morning?
2. Do you agree with the points mentioned in the article?
3. How often do you have meetings at work? What time do you usually have them?
4. What is the most productive time for you at work? Are you a morning person or an evening person?
It’s no secret that cooking has evolved over the years. We’ve experienced fine dining cuisine where a small quantity of food is artistically placed on the plate. Then we had molecular gastronomy where science meets art and gives birth to an innovative way of having a meal.
Now, a new trend called miniature food has gone viral on Youtube and viewers just can’t get enough of it. Watch the video below then express your thoughts.
1. What were your thoughts when you were watching the video?
2. How did the trend of miniature food and cooking happen? Explain what “Kawaii” is.
3. What are some Japanese art that you find interesting?
4. Describe some of the good and fancy restaurants that you’ve been to in the past.
Knowing your roots and discovering your history is always a fascinating idea. There’s a sense of wonder and mystery as we try to find out who we are.
Websites such as Ancestry.com have been garnering a number of clients as more and more people are getting curious in tracing their genealogy. Read the article below to know about photo detectives and how they trace family history.
1. Do you think it’s important to trace your family’s history? Why/not?
2. What do you know about your grandparents? How about your great-grandparents?
3. Do you have old photos at home? If yes, are there people in the photos you can’t recognize?
4. Would you ever consider hiring a photo detective to tell you more about your family? Why/not?
5. How would you feel if you discovered one of your ancestors was a terrible person?
1. What are your feelings about cosmetic surgery?
2. What are your feelings about a job that would force you to consider cosmetic surgery?
3. Would you ever choose to have cosmetic surgery (or have you)? Why/not?
4. Do you know anyone who has ever had cosmetic surgery? What was your opinion?
5. Why do you think more people are so concerned with cosmetic surgery in general?
New York city a place filled with people from different parts of the world. Fatima Ali is one of them. Watch the video below to discover her story and what she would like to do in the future.
Write down any words that you would like to discuss during the lesson.
1. What is the story of Fatima Ali?
2. What is Fatima’s job and what is the name of the restaurant she works for?
3. What does Fatima want to do when she goes back to Pakistan?
4. Do you enjoy cooking? What do you like to cook?
There have been many studies of how technology can be bad for us. But the video below will show how technology can help some people in society be more confident in facing the world and its daily challenges.
Watch the video and be ready to discuss it.
1. Explain how technology is being used in Galludet university.
2. How is technology helping the deaf and the hard-of-hearing students in Galludet university?
3. Are there organizations or colleges in your country that accommodate students with disabilities?
4. What are other ways technology can do to help people with disabilities?