There is a new trend in some societies. It’s having more than one occupation. There is someone who is a part-time computer programmer and a part-time musician or someone who is a teacher by day and a bartender by night.
Click on the links below to listen to and read the transcript of this BBC 6 Minute English podcast about having several jobs.
1. When you were young, how did you answer the question, “What do you want to be when you grow up”?
2. What do you do now? Are you interested in getting another job? If so, what kind?
3. What does the term “portfolio careers” mean?
4. What might be the good and bad things about having portfolio careers?
5. Think of other reasons why having multiple jobs is becoming a trend.
How do you get big things done? Certainly, there are several different things you can do to accomplish them. Here’s one technique you can try:
1. What is the technique called and how does it work?
2. How can people improve their productivity?
3. What technology helps you to be productive?
4. Do you think smart phones increase or decrease productivity?
5. Are you a very motivated person or do you wait until the last minute to do things?
Think about how much time you spend each day sitting down. You may sit down throughout the entire working day at a desk in front of a computer. You sit during your commute to and from work. And you sit when you’re watching TV in the evening, or surfing the web.
But is sitting really that risky? Watch the video carefully and be able to answer the questions that follow.
According to the video, why is too much sitting harmful for you?
What are the things that you usually do when sitting down? About how many hours do you sit in a day?
Do you agree that sitting too much can ruin your health? Why or why not?
What are some ways to reduce the health risks of too much sitting?
1. Describe Old Holland and how locals live there.
2. What are the rules they talked about with local tour companies and what do you think about them? What rules for tourists would you add?
3. What responsibilities do you think tourists have?
4. What kind of bad behavior have you observed tourists have when they visit your city/country?
1. What do you think of this perk?
2. What are your thoughts on this statement: “When [IVF] is done purely to protect their job, I think it’s extraordinary that women think this is liberating.”?
3. What unique perks are given to employees at your company?
4. What perks do you want your company to start giving out to its employees?
5. What do you think is the best age to start having children. Tell some reasons why.
1. Explain the word “camaraderie” and use it in a sentence.
2. Why are there dogs in the office of Brooke, Reggie, Max and Peggy?
3. What is a tunnelling machine? What are they going to do in the river Thames?
4. What is the new spin that a group put in their yoga class?
5. Have you tried yoga? What do you think about it?
This video is meant to practice both your listening skills and your vocabulary. Feel free to watch the video more than once and take note of words or expressions that are new. Be ready to answer comprehension questions.
1. According to the video, why is it a good idea to use very hot coals when grilling fish? How long should it take the fish to cook (per side)?
2. How should the fish look like once it’s cooked or done?
3. What are the different sauces that Melissa Clark paired her fish with? Why did she choose these sauces?
4. Are you fond of grilling? Have you tried grilling fish?
5. Have you tried hosting a barbecue party during the summer?
Since taking office, President Trump’s administration has been rocking boats and challenging society with new policies. School programs is one of them.
Watch the video below then express your thoughts.
1. What is an after school program and how does it help children?
2. What do you think will happen if budget for after school programs will cease?
3. In your country, are there similar programs to help specific children (or families) in certain communities?
4. What improvements would you like your government to make when it comes to children and their education?
1.What are the negative effects of ageism on an individual?
2. What might be the positive impact of it?
3. Does ageism exist in the workplace in your company and/or country?
4. Talk about a situation when you witnessed ageism happening.
5. What is your stand on this: “this [ageism] isn’t just an issue young people face.“?