1. How did Joseph Ombimbo Nyakwaka spend the money he received?
2. What are the positive things about direct cash transfers in donating?
3. What are the criticisms on this method of giving?
4. Imagine receiving $1000 and you can spend it however you want. How would you like to spend it?
If you’re into music then you’ll find this story interesting. The video below is good practice for your listening skills. Feel free to watch it more than once. The text below the video will give you extra details about the short story.
1. How did the song “Jambo Bwana” come to life? What was its inspiration?
2. What did you think of the tune or the melody of the pop song?
3. What are some of the local songs in your country that are considered a classic and are still played on the radio?
4. What are some of your preferences when it comes to music?
1. Re-tell the story of Jasvinder Sanghera. How was she able to escape?
2. According to the article, why did Jasvinder dislike being in an arranged marriage? What were the struggles she had to endure?
3. The Chinese also practice arranged marriages. How do you view this custom?
4. Discuss other traditions that you think should be discontinued.
1. What does it mean when you kill time? How would you use it in a sentence?
2. When you have appointments, do you like being early then just kill time? Or do you prefer being on time?
3. What are things you like to do when killing time?
1. What does it mean when you eat humble pie? How would you use it in a sentence?
2. In the podcast, why did Rob have to eat humble pie?
3. What is the history of the phrase “eat humble pie”?
4. Describe a time you were wrong and had to eat humble pie.
The Japanese are renowned for keeping most of their traditions alive. “Ama” divers is one of them. Read the article below to know what and who “ama” divers are and be ready to answer some discussion questions.
1. What kind of diving do the “ama” divers do?
2. In your country, what industries were thriving in the past but are now declining?
3. What are some traditions that your country has strongly carried through the years (food,feast, etc.)
4. What are some of the small towns in your country that local and foreign tourists like to visit because of it history and heritage?
Who doesn’t want to have meal rated by the Michelin guide? We all are interested as to why a certain dish was given a star or two, but keeping in mind that it just might break the bank. Interestingly enough, Singapore offers something else.
Read the article below to know more about a cheap yet very tasty serving of noodle.
1. Discuss the restaurant and food of Chan Hon Meng.
2. Have you experienced eating at a Michelin-starred restaurant? How was that experience?
3. What are some of the local food joints that you enjoy going to?
4. What new cuisines would you like to explore or try?
1. What are three things you do to protect your apartment or home from burglary?
2. Do you need advanced systems like motion detectors to protect your dwelling, or is a watch dog enough?
3. What are other good ways to protect yourself and your home from burglary?