1. Do you agree that “learning and communicating in the language of a foreign country while living there is without doubt the best way of learning”?
2. What are ways you’ve tried to learn English? Which do you think are the most effective and which are not?
3. Would you consider studying a language abroad or recommend anyone to do it? Support your answer.
Play is essential to development because it contributes to the cognitive, physical, social, and emotional well-being of children and youth. Despite the benefits derived from play for both children and parents, time for free play has been markedly reduced for some children. This report addresses a variety of factors that have reduced play, including a hurried lifestyle, changes in family structure, and increased attention to academics and enrichment activities at the expense of recess or free child-centered play.
Read the article further and be able to discuss the following questions:
Since taking office, President Trump’s administration has been rocking boats and challenging society with new policies. School programs is one of them.
Watch the video below then express your thoughts.
1. What is an after school program and how does it help children?
2. What do you think will happen if budget for after school programs will cease?
3. In your country, are there similar programs to help specific children (or families) in certain communities?
4. What improvements would you like your government to make when it comes to children and their education?
1. How do you feel about homeschooling? What are its advantages and disadvantages?
2. Is homeschooling gaining popularity in your country?
3. Home schooling avoids many problems such as bullying. What is your opinion on this?
4. Would you have preferred homeschooling or going to school? How different would you be today if you’d been homeschooled?
5. Would you consider homeschooling your children?
Culture shock is defined as feeling confused and anxious when you visit another country or city. It happens to everyone, even to young students who are more flexible and adaptable to a new environment.
Read the article below to know about the experience of one international student.
1. Have you experienced culture shock before? How did you cope with that?
2. Share an experience you had in another country.
3. What are the things that matched with your expectations before coming to a country and what things didn’t match?
Corporal punishment is disciplining by way of physically harming the child at fault. This kind of correction has been used in schools and many have spoken against it. Yet, there are some who think that the old practice of corporal punishment is something that should remain in institutions to teach restraint and self-control in children.
Read the article below and express your thought afterwards.
The United Arab Emirates have come up with a way to encourage people to read more. Government employees will be compensated when they read during work hours and libraries will be set-up in their workplaces.
1. How much do you like reading?
2. How long should people read each day?
3. How important are libraries?
4. What do you think of having libraries in shopping malls?
5. What does your country do to encourage reading and literacy?
6. What do you think of having a law that gets people to read?
For years, schools have always given homework to students every single day. But recently, school officials, as well as parents, are saying no to more homework. A group of parents in Spain have recently gone on strike to protest their children’s school load.
1. What do you think of the article?
2. Are you for or against giving homework to students?
3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of giving homework to students?
4. What was the most difficult homework you had to do when you were still a student?
Finland has been delivering educational excellence to its children and this country’s success in education has other nations doing their research. Click on the link below to find out why Finland’s schools are successful.
1. What makes Finland’s schools successful?
2. Tell me about your country’s educational system.
3. Do you think your country would benefit if it follows Finland’s way?
4. What can your country adopt from Finland’s educational system?
1. What is a “safe space” and “trigger warning”?
2. What is your opinion about free speech?
3. Are students free enough to express their opinions during class discussions?
4. Do you think the Spanish media is able to report news freely?
5. What may be the advantages of not having freedom of speech?