Heart disease generally refers to conditions that involve narrowed or blocked blood vessels that can lead to a heart attack, chest pain (angina) or stroke. Other heart conditions, such as those that affect your heart’s muscle, valves or rhythm, also are considered forms of heart disease.
Having good posture is imperative to have good health. Along with eating right and getting enough sleep, correct posture will help you be more physically fit.
Watch the video below to know how our posture affects our health.
1. What do you think about your posture? Is it good or bad?
2. According to the video, what does good posture look like?
3. What are the causes of poor posture? What are it effects?
4. How can one achieve a good posture?
It may seem obvious that sleep is beneficial. Even without fully grasping what sleep does for us, we know that going without sleep for too long makes us feel terrible, and that getting a good night’s sleep can make us feel ready to take on the world.
Scientists have gone to great lengths to fully understand sleep’s benefits. In studies of humans and other animals, they have discovered that sleep plays a critical role in immune function, metabolism, memory, learning, and other vital functions.
Watch the video carefully then be ready to answer some discussion questions:
1. In the video, what are the effects of Sleep Deprivation?
2. What does sleep do to our body that makes it very important?
3. How many hours of sleep do you generally need per night? Do you manage to sleep as much as you need? If not, why not?
4. Do you use, or have you ever used, any special methods that help you get to sleep? (e.g. sleeping pills, herbal remedies,counting sheep,meditation )
1. What are you most stressed about these days?
2. Do you think stress can sometimes be good?
3. Which of the ways mentioned in the article do you find most useful?
4. What are some decluttering practices that you do?
1. What are the signs and symptoms of eating disorders?
2. What are your thoughts on the eating disorders mentioned in the article? Is this something that people in your country struggle with?
3. The influence of the media is greater than ever. They promote bodies that are thin and idealistically well proportioned. Do you agree or disagree with this? Why or why not?
4. What should the government do to help reduce the number of people suffering from this
“Health is wealth.” is a common English expression. But how can we maintain good health in the midst of our busy lives? Apparently, we can. All we need to do is to be aware of what we are eating. Find out from this link about a new study of packaging in fast food restaurants.
1. Summarize what was written in the article.
2. Take a look at the pictures and make comments.
3. What are the side effects of fluorine in our body?
4. What should we do to avoid exposure from fluorine in fast food restaurants?
5. What are the long term effects of taking care of your health?
The number of children suffering from obesity is increasing. It is considered a major health concern, especially in developed countries. But what causes childhood obesity? Read the article below to know more. Be ready to express your thoughts.
1. How do you know if your child is overweight or obese?
2. Would you say that some children in your country are suffering from obesity or becoming overweight?
3. What causes a child to become overweight or obese?
4. How can you prevent your child from becoming overweight or obese?
5. What should the government do in order to prevent children from having serious weight issues?
We all take a bath or a shower to feel fresh before going to work, after a rigorous work-out or simply to feel clean before going to bed. Do you enjoy your bath time? How often do you take a shower? They say that taking a shower might not be so good for you, so let’s find out.
1. Name the reasons mentioned in the article about showering less. Do you agree or disagree with them?
2. Do you prefer taking a shower or having a bath?
3. Do you prefer a quick shower in the morning or a warm bath in the evening?
Express your thoughts:
• A few germs are good for you. People wash and clean too much.
• Expensive shampoos and shower gels are a waste of money. A bar of soap is just as effective.
• The advertising industry is to blame for all the money we waste on cleaning products that we don’t need.
“Health is wealth.” “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.” “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” These are just some famous sayings we have about health. It is no secret that people want have a full life – a healthy life. How do you take care of yours?
Click the link below and answer the different questions related to health. This activity will help practice your sentence construction.