Perhaps never in our wildest imagination would we associate the jungle with cutting-edge technology. The Wai-wais, members of the smallest tribe in South America, are defying technology barriers in order to continue being the stewards of the rainforests in this nation.
1. Why is it necessary for the Wai-wais to learn the use of technology?
2. What do you think of this drastic change? How would this impact their old way of life?
3. Are there any tribes/indigenous groups in your country? Share what you know about them.
Virtual reality used to be just something out of a movie. Now, it is widely used in different industries, whether it be in entertainment or in technical training. But is it as effective if it is used in classrooms? Are there any physical side effects to using virtual reality?
Click the link below and read the article to know more of the advantages and disadvantages of using virtual reality.
1. What do you think about this app? What other features would you add to it?
2. How prevalent is counterfeiting in your country?
3. Is it really possible to lessen the spread and sale of counterfeit items?
4. Are you guilty of buying counterfeit items such as shoes, bags or clothes?
There is an increasing popularity of e-books, especially among youngsters. Some people think that printed books will be replaced by e-books, which are more convenient and affordable. However, some argued that nothing could ever replace the feeling of owning and the physical enjoyment that printed books can provide to its readers.
1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of e-books?
2. What do you like about printed book?
3. Based on the article, why do major publishers think that reading books on screen is what most of the consumers need?
4. What are some of the books that you have enjoyed reading?
5. Do you also like to read articles from magazines or the newspaper?
What will future cars look like? Can future vehicles prevent road accidents? Will it really be possible for a car to take us from point A to B without controlling it? Let’s discuss the Autonomous or driver-less cars of the future and find out more about it.
Listen to the podcast carefully and study the featured vocabulary words.
1. Describe the train that Kazuyo Sejima designed? Why is it called an invisible train?
2. How would you describe the trains in your country?
3. Have you taken the different trains in Europe? Have you visited other European countries using trains?
4. Would you say that public transportation in your country is very effective? What else could it improve on?
The safety of travellers and drivers on the road have always been a priority. From building better road infrastructure to using technology to ensure a driver’s safety.
Watch the video below to know more of how advanced technology is upping its game when it comes to road safety. Be ready to express your thoughts about it.
1. How do smart-roads work? How can roads communicate with cars?
2. According to the video, what are the benefits of self-driving cars?
3. Which states in the US are already working on smart-roads?
4. What are your thoughts on self-driving cars?
5. Do you think smart-roads will work in your country?
The rise of artificial intelligence has been preoccupying people from all different walks of life. Whether you’re a scientist, an engineer or a mother of two, questions will always be asked. Is it good? Or does it bring more harm?
Click the link below to read the article and watch the video.
1. How would you define artificial intelligence?
2. Is AI a threat to the human race as we know it? Is there a danger that AI will take over the world?
3. Should we be making AI that behave like humans?
4. AI is and could be powerful. Should we have a campaign to stop the killer robots?
5. Will the robot army rise up and steal our jobs?
6. Can AI help address some of the world’s most pressing problems, or will it worsen issues such as inequality and poverty?
1. Talk about Jarvis.
2. Do you feel comfortable talking to your mobile phone? If yes, what do you usually ask your AI assistant to do? If not, kindly explain the reason why.
3. What other functions would you like AI assistants to be able to carry out?
4. What other ultra advanced technology would you like to be able to see and use in your lifetime.
Amazon is opening a physical store in Seattle where purchases are automatically completed using a phone app. There will be no cashiers, no checkout lines. Just grab what you want, scan it and walk out.
1. Would you be concerned with this kind of service getting hacked or is there no difference than buying online?
2. If this works do you think more stores will do this since they wouldn’t need to hire so many employees and could save money lowering the price of items?
3. Would you rather shop in a store where you could just walk in, grab what you want and walk right out instead of waiting in a line or would you be willing to keep things the way they are so people could keep their jobs?