1. Re-tell the story of Jasvinder Sanghera. How was she able to escape?
2. According to the article, why did Jasvinder dislike being in an arranged marriage? What were the struggles she had to endure?
3. The Chinese also practice arranged marriages. How do you view this custom?
4. Discuss other traditions that you think should be discontinued.
The Japanese are renowned for keeping most of their traditions alive. “Ama” divers is one of them. Read the article below to know what and who “ama” divers are and be ready to answer some discussion questions.
1. What kind of diving do the “ama” divers do?
2. In your country, what industries were thriving in the past but are now declining?
3. What are some traditions that your country has strongly carried through the years (food,feast, etc.)
4. What are some of the small towns in your country that local and foreign tourists like to visit because of it history and heritage?
In most Asian countries, New Year’s is celebrated twice – in January and in February. Read the article below to know more about the Chinese New Year and some cultural traditions that the Chinese practice. Be ready to also talk about important festivals in your country.
1. Describe how the Chinese celebrate their New Year?
2. Have you ever seen or witnessed a dragon dance or a Lantern Festival?
3. What else do you know about the Chinese culture? How about other Asian culture?
4. What are some Spanish festivals that are very specific to a region?
5. In your country, are there any dishes or food that are especially served on certain festivals or holidays?
1. What do you think of bullfighting as a kind of entertainment?
2. Do you think bulls should be eaten after being killed in the arena?
3. Is it possible to completely wipe out the industry of bullfighting?
4. Are there other historical activities in your country that should be stopped?
1. Describe how Peruvians commemorate or celebrate the Festival of the Sun.
2. Describe how traditional or religious festivals are observed in your country. Which ones do you participate in?
3. What other traditional festivities do you know of?
What’s in a name? Some traditions and culture call for women taking their husband’s name immediately after getting married. But there’s a trend happening when it comes to changing names. Is it really new or is it just popularized by celebrities?
1. What do you think of not allowing foreign food in a city?
2. Are there many foreign restaurants in your city? Which one is your favourite?
3. How can cities and regions preserve their food traditions?