B1 – Intermediate
For most people, friends are just as important to them as their families while others can easily choose one over the other.
A study shows that one between these two types of relationships is a better predictor of health and happiness, so which one do you think is it?
Let’s find out:
- What do you think of the study?
- Do you feel that “blood is thicker than water”? (Family comes first.)
Or do you feel that friends are more important? Or do you think both are equally valuable?
- How do members of a family support each other? / How do friends support each other?
- Do you prefer to have many friends or just a few close ones?
- What are the benefits of having just a few close friends? How about the benefits of having many friends? Are there disadvantages for both too?
- How close are you to your family? How about your extended family? (cousins, aunts, great uncles etc.)
Try explaining these statements:
- “If a friendship has survived the test of time, you know it must be a good one.”
- “You can choose your friends, but you can’t choose your family.”
- “Treat your family like friends and your friends like family.”
** Share any quotes about friendship and family.