There’s a thin line between being frugal and being cheap, but how do we know when we’re in danger of crossing it?
Being frugal is being resourceful and savvy about how you spend your money, whereas being cheap is trying to cut corners to the detriment of yourself or others just so you don’t have to spend money.
Click the link to find out the differences between the two and be able to answer the questions that follow:
- What’s the difference between being cheap and being frugal?
- Can you manage your money to the end of the month?
- Are you saving money now? Why? Do you regularly save money? Why?
- When was the last time you spent money on something you didn’t really need? Why did you do so?
- Do you go shopping when you are sad? What do you buy? Do you need them?
- Are you good with money?
- Are you more of a generous or frugal character? How about other people in your family?
The sea temperature off the coasts of Spain have hit historic highs, rising up to 2.5C over a decade, according to data recorded in June.The warmest waters were recorded in the Mediterranean of Tarragona, which reached 27C, an increase of 2.5 percent on a year earlier.
Spain was gripped by the first heatwave of the summer in June, making the month the hottest June recorded in Spain for 50 years.
Kindly read the full article here:
What impact can warmer seas have to marine life?
What was your reaction to this news?
Do you know of other problems related to the seas, marine ecosystem etc.?
How can we protect our seas?
Describe your favorite beach.
B2 – Upper Intermediate
In France, a new law requires employers to ensure that their employees have time to disconnect. The “right to disconnect” law went into effect on January 1.
The French Ministry of Labor says the rules make sure workers have time away from work and with their families without feeling as if they always need to read their work emails.
1. What can cause a lot of stress according to this article?
2. What do you think about this new French law?
3. What are the advantages of this law for the employees? What are the disadvantages of this law for companies?
4. “Stress is the cause of all illness.” Do you agree?
5. Do you think it is possible to avoid stress all the time?
B1 – Intermediate
Women are usually encouraged to have children as early in life as possible. Yet a new study suggests that older mothers are more likely to raise happier and well-adjusted children.
1. What is the average age of starting a family in your country?
2. What are the advantages and disadvantages of having kids when you are older?
3. how would you describe your relationship with your parents? Do you think their age had an effect on this?
C1 – Advanced
Watch the video below of a doctor and how his heartbreak helped him become better at his profession. Share some of your experiences as well related to sympathizing and empathizing.
1. At the beginning of the video, the doctor said that his heart had a “giant hole in it.” What did he mean by this? What happened to him?
2. How did the doctor describe his loneliness?
3. Why did the doctor say that the hospital is great place to be in when a person is in pain? What kind of pain was he talking about?
4. How did the doctor describe his experience working at a children’s hospital?
5. How do past experiences in life help us in the present?