Do you ever wonder why brands pay a great deal of money on advertisements? A well-thought of ad can make consumers buy your products or avail of your services. Hence, advertising firms ensure their ads catch their market’s attention, to some extent, even if it means misleading them.
Read the article below and get ready to talk about false advertising.
1. Have you ever fallen for a misleading advert?
2. Talk about an advertising campaign that caught your attention recently.
3. What are your thoughts on celebrity endorsements?
4. What factors do you consider when buying a product?
5. What would make an ad more appealing?
Undeniably, air pollution has been a problem in every country around the world. No wonder a lot of car companies are heading for electric and hybrid cars in the future. Just recently, the UK has announced its plans to fight air pollution by banning petrol and diesel cars starting 2040.
Is it a good idea or will it be a little too late by then? Let’s read the article below and let us know your opinion about the subject.
1. What do you think about Britain’s plan to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars from 2040?
2. Would you support such a ban in your country? Why? Why not?
3. How long do you think it will be before all cars on the road are electric? Why?
4. Do you believe that electric cars will be cheaper to maintain than ICE cars by 2025-2029? Why? Why not?
5. What do you think governments should do to encourage people to buy electric cars?
6. Why do you think some people are still skeptical about electric cars?
1. What do you think about Siesta & Go’s nap bar?
2. Would you be interested in visiting a nap bar? Why? Why not?
3. Are you able to sleep anywhere? Why? Why not?
4. Do you think that naps are beneficial for one’s health? Why? Why not?
5. Are there napping spaces in your town or city? If so, please describe how they work. If not, do you think there should be one? Why? Why not?
In a more globalized world, sharing resources hasn’t been new. Now, a new concept of a “Co-working Space” which helps small businesses and self-employed individuals to stay connected with others by renting a room or small place to work.
Let’s learn more about this and read the article below!
1. What does Carl Pierre think the advantages of such a workspace are?
2. What do you think about the concept of co-working spaces?
3. What does your workspace look like?
4. Do you prefer working outdoors or in an office? Why?
5. Do you think that, in the future, all business will be conducted from a co-working space? Why or why not?
6. Do you think that, in the future, offices will become obsolete because of the Internet? Why or why not?
Bargaining or haggling is a type of negotiation in which the buyer and seller of a good or service debate the price of a transaction. Not all purchases are open to bargaining. Typical places where bargaining is common include markets, antique shops, and second-hand car shops.
Click the link and read a few guidelines to help us get the best bargain. Answer the discussion questions that follow:
Innovation is the development and implementation of ideas that lead to more value for whatever business you are in.
When grocery chain Tesco wanted to expand their market share in South Korea, they came up with a brilliant idea. Because the people in South Korea work long hours they thought of an efficient way to sell their products. Why is this shop interesting to view?
Why is this shop interesting to view? Click the link and watch the video to find out. Be able to answer the questions that follow.
1. What do you think of this perk?
2. What are your thoughts on this statement: “When [IVF] is done purely to protect their job, I think it’s extraordinary that women think this is liberating.”?
3. What unique perks are given to employees at your company?
4. What perks do you want your company to start giving out to its employees?
5. What do you think is the best age to start having children. Tell some reasons why.
1. Why are employees at Pivotal Software required to report to work at exactly 9:06 AM?
2. What do you think of this idea?
3. Would you like such rule to be implemented in your company? Why or why not?
4. Describe your work hours and your typical work day.
5. What are the things that you do to increase your productivity at work?
Wine has been around for as long as we can remember. And most of the time we’re after the taste. Watch the video below of a discussion about wine bottles and the issue of changing them.
1. According to the video, why are wine bottles changing?
2. Describe the wine the presenter and guest tasted.
3. The presenter mentioned the word “hipster”. What do you think it means?
4. What did the guest say about retailers and wine bottles?
5. What are your preferences when it comes to wine and other alcoholic beverages?